- Transportation Development Association of Wisconsin
- Itís how we get there
Wisconsin Freight Rail Week
The Governor Proclaims Freight Rail Week
Excerpt from Governorís proclamation. See complete proclamation on the right.
- NOW, THEREFORE, I, Scott Walker, Governor of the State of Wisconsin, do hereby proclaim
October 22 - 28, 2012 as
Freight Rail Week
throughout the state of Wisconsin, and I commend this observance to all of our citizens.
Wisconsin Freight Rail Week FactsWisconsin's System
- Wisconsin is served by 12 railroads including four major (Class I) railroads.
- Wisconsin's freight railroads each year move about 190 million tons of cargo.
- Wisconsin's major rail commodities include: coal, farm products, clay, concrete, pulp, paper, lumber or wood products and much more.
- Rail freight movement between Wisconsin, Canada and Mexico is expected to continue to grow.
The Benefits of Freight Rail
- Rail service provides a low cost transportation alternative for the high volume, lower value commodities that are essential to many of Wisconsin's industries.
- The availability of rail service can be an important factor for states and municipalities interested in retaining and attracting certain businesses.
- Freight rail eases highway congestion as one intermodal train can carry the freight of several hundred trucks.
- Rail moves a ton of freight approximately 470 miles on just one gallon of fuel and emits fewer pollutants than transportation by truck.