Wisconsin Freight Rail Week
The Governor Proclaims Freight Rail Week
Excerpt from Governor’s proclamation. See complete proclamation on the right.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Scott Walker, Governor of the State of Wisconsin, do hereby proclaim
October 17 – 23, 2016 as
Wisconsin Freight Rail Week Facts
- Wisconsin is served by 10 railroads including four major (Class I) railroads.
- Wisconsin’s freight railroads each year move more than 200 million tons of cargo over 3,300 miles of freight rail.
- Wisconsin’s major rail commodities include: coal, sand, stone, gravel, farm products, pulp, paper, lumber or wood products and much more.
- Rail freight movement between Wisconsin, Canada and Mexico is expected to continue to grow.
The Benefits of Freight Rail
- Rail service provides a low cost transportation alternative for the high volume, lower value commodities that are essential to many of Wisconsin’s industries.
- The availability of rail service can be an important factor for states and municipalities interested in retaining and attracting certain businesses.
- Freight rail eases highway congestion as one intermodal train can carry the freight of several hundred trucks.
- Rail moves a ton of freight more than 470 miles on just one gallon of fuel and emits fewer pollutants than transportation by truck.